Saturday, March 24, 2012

WHO IS GYSPY V?

Allow me to introduce myself......

I am Gypsy V, an initiated Vodou and Hoodoo practicioner in New Orleans, Louisiana. I come from a background of Gypsy, Cherokee Indian and Irish heritage. It has always been my desire to help bring peace and healing. I DO NOT stick pins in dolls or do spells to bring harm to anyone! Having inherited the gift of empathic healing, I give honor to my ancestors who had various gifts as well. My Daddy was an amazing  healer, my Mam-Maw (maternal grandmother), could foresee things in the future and was a gifted intuitive. My great grandfather was a water witcher, respected for his ability to locate water on land where people needed wells for themselves and their animals. Water witching or "dowsing" is definitely an intuitive art and one of the oldest forms of divination in the world.
To most people, the mention of Vodou or Hoodoo brings about visions of a scary, dark religion built around death, evil, sex and horror. We tend to fear what we don't understand. It is not a cult. It is a healing practice that survived slavery. Vodou is the mystical, powerful religion of the Island of Haiti. It is empowering and inspiring. Genuine Vodou is where families honor their ancestors by celebrating with song, dance, prayers and offerings of water and food. The word Vodou means Spirit. It is believed that all items have a spirit within them. All the ritual products of Vodou, the sequined bottles, dolls and other items that have become associated with the actual practice of Vodou are sacred vessels of Spirit.

They are created to assist in the communion with the Spirits. Vodou, in it's normal practice, has nothing whatsoever to do with devil worship, black magic or any other distorted Hollywood version. It is something that brings me peace. It gives me focus on community and helping others. It has enriched my life and empowered my gift of compassion, which has magnified my empathic abilities. Hoodoo is an eclectic blend of African tradition, Native American medicine, Judeo-Christian ritual and European Magic. It is a nature-based healing tradition, which I totally believe in. It can help in ceremonies to bless your home, find love, attract prosperity, offer protection and promote health and happiness. To me, Vodou and Hoodoo go comfortable hand-in-hand and totally complement each other. Raised in organzied religion, I knew there must be more to life than all black and white. There is so much unknown and sometimes people fear stepping over into it. The spirit world is truly magical. I am able to reach out to people in a more sincere manner than I ever did before. My gifts to create have been enriched so that I can help in the healing of emotional and physical issues. I still hold my firm belief in a greater God, who has our personal ancestors, Lwa and animal guides to assist in getting things done. I embrace my Vodou and spiritual beliefs and it is my prayer that through my creations, you will feel peace, love and healing. I pour my heart and soul into each item that I make. One of my favorite quotes is by John May. "Curious things happen at the edges between worlds." May you reach out and find what you have been searching for.

Please feel free to go by and see my creations sold exclusively at Hex -located at 1219 Decatur in New Orleans, Hex - 246 Essex Street, Salem Mass., and at Island of Salvation Botanica - 2732 St. Claude Avenue - New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment